Abercynon (“Mouth of the river Cynon”)
Abercynon lies in the South Wales Coalfield some 15 miles north of Cardiff and has excellent road (A470) and rail links with the capitol city of Cardiff. For the last 20years it has been part of the County Borough of Rhondda-Cynon-Taf and for most of that time it has elected Stuart Gregory & Albert Davies as their County Councillors.
Prior to the sinking of the colliery shafts in 1889 Abercynon was just a rural village made up of a collection of houses and farm that numbered less than 50. On earlier maps it wasn’t even called Abercynon but had names like Junction, Ynysferirig, The Basin and Navigation.
According to the 1901 census the population had swelled to 9109 (it highest) but has remained constant at around 7,000 since the 1950s.
Abercynon itself covers a large area starting at the white farm house south of Grovers Field and reaches the Tynte Bridge in the north and in the east it ends just before the bridge over the A470 (Quakers Yard) and takes in the farms below Llechwen Hall on Llanfabon mountain.
Abercynon is composed of the village of Central Abercynon itself, Carnetown, Abertaf, Top Locks, Park View and Pontcynon are well defined communitees. However, in recent years the sign to show motorists they are entering Abercynon has been moved south of Pontcynon thus making the area known as Abercynon smaller.